Monday, September 6, 2010

Life of inconvenience.

I love China but it really is so inconvenient here. If you're confused as to what exactly I am talking about, I just mean everything.

Inconvenience #1. You can't drink the tap water. Oh do I miss the days where I could just go to my sink and fill me up a nice glass of water.
#2. You can't flush toilet paper. If you don't get that, then just think about it for a while. Luckily we can in our apartment because it's newer, but I swear if our toilet starts flooding because we are I'm gonna get mad! But when you go to public places? Nope.
#3. They don't supply toilet paper for you. Just annoying.
#4. They don't just give you the bags when you go to the grocery store. You have to pay for them. PAY. Next time you go to the grocery store, be grateful you get those things for free.
#5. Don't even think about sitting down to take a rest on a bench. Because they sure don't have those here. I have yet to see a bench anywhere. Even in Hong Kong or Beijing. They just don't have them. If you want to take a rest, you go into that squatting position that they all love. I do not do it because it's extremely uncomfortable for me and I just fall over. Those Asians are just built different.
#6. There are no lines here. You could be standing in something you think is a line and someone will walk right in front of you. So I've had to learn. Today in the grocery store while I was waiting to weigh my fruit, I could see a lady behind me to the right trying to inch her way in front of me. But I wouldn't have it! I don't care if I have three bags and you only have one. Go to America and see what happens when you try and cut like that!
#7. No dryer. We do it the old fashion way here by hanging out clothes up. Which takes about twice as long here as it would in the states because its so dang humid.
#8. Our shower has no curtain or anything to stop the water from going all over the floor. Just a shower head and a drain right next to the toilet. It's not too powerful so it's not too bad.
#9. They must not like couches here because ours is basically a brick with fabric over it.
#10. You can't really walk around barefoot anywhere. Even in our apartment. It's just dirty. And no matter how much you clean it, it just gets dirty again right after. So right when we walk in, we have to put out slipper shoes on. I miss the carpet in my house.

The purpose of this post is not to complain to everyone. Because I'm not. I've already gotten used to all this. I just want everyone to be grateful for how much we all have in America. It really is a life of luxury. People here would kill to go to America. So be happy you live in such a wonderful country.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, sounds a lot like Brazil; you'll be amazed at how it will feel different walking around barefoot, having an enclosed shower, not having to think about throwing away, not flushing, tp and clothes fresh from the dryer. Took me a couple of days to adjust back!
    Cousin Kari

    ReplyDelete